I liken my life to a crazy quilt. You never know what size or color the next block will be, what print or fabric it will be made from or which stitch, ribbon or charm it will be adorned with.



Welcome to my crazy-quilt life. Hopefully my blog is a reflection of that & me!



Enjoy your visit.

Check out my farm blog too! http://serenitysheepfarmstay.blogspot.com/







Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Teaching Kids

Last Friday I had the opportunity to teach a 4th grade class needle felting. They have all chosen a bird and have drawn a picture of it. I am not sure if they've done reports on these birds, but there are some very interesting and unusual birds. Fun colors to dye so they have the proper wool to use! I spent the better part of Thursday getting that done and all of the other things ready.
Since I am such a huge thrift shopper, I really hate to pay full price for anything. I have known I'd be working with them since fall, so I was on the look out for supplies on my trip to Portland. Linda and I went to an interesting place called SCRAP . It's a non-profit full of scrap recycled items. I was able to purchase 20 pieces of the gray foam I needed for 50¢ ea. I glued and cut and came up with the 28 pieces I needed for the kids. It works!
I spent 2 hours in the classroom on Friday. That's a lot. Typically I just spend 45 minutes to an hour in a class, but we were able to get a huge start on the project. I had felted a green, wool blanket that was given to me. I cut it up into 8 1/2 x 11 inch pieces for their "canvas". Each child was given white wool roving to start outlining their birds. They went to town! Then I went around with a baggie for each and we picked out colors for their individual projects. I know they are going to be awesome. The kids are SO enthusiastic. They must have applauded me 4 or 5 times! Their excitment was contagious and I was flying high when I left.
This week I will go back and help them fine-tune their birds, adding depth and more color.

1 comment:

  1. I just love this and am excited that you can do this again this year. Lucky kids! I wish I was in that 4th grade class. Art+Kids=FUN!

    ReplyDelete